Friend of JJP is looking for the next amazing leader of Color of Change to take the baton from the fearless, peerless James Rucker. They’re talking to some folks now but want to make sure they have the best person possible to rep the roots. More details below. Tell your cousin to apply.
Job Title: Executive Director, Color of Change (Bay Area)
ColorOfChange.org is hiring a new Executive Director to oversee all aspects of the organization´s work. Founded in 2005 in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, ColorOfChange.org has since become one of the preeminent organizations in the U.S. working to amplify the voices of Black people and our allies. Our work covers a wide range of issues, including inequities in the criminal justice system, racism in the media, and the Gulf Coast rebuilding process. Through online and offline tactics, our campaigns activate hundreds of thousands of people, achieve concrete impacts, and are covered widely in the mainstream and alternative press. We are a nimble, impactful organization looking for a dynamic leader to take our efforts to the next level.
* Drive all aspects of organizational strategy and implementation
* Manage a team of three, including overseeing workload and conducting regular evaluations
* Oversee hiring of new team members and consultants
* Identify and evaluate new campaign opportunities
* Oversee planning and execution of all campaigns
* Review and improve organizational systems
* Make presentations on behalf of the organization to partners and funders
* Lead fundraising efforts including creation of grant proposals and reports
The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial thinker who is detail-oriented, well organized, and politically savvy. He or she should have exceptional written and verbal communicator and be able to alternate regularly from thinking big-picture to managing implementation. Self-confidence is critical, as is being able to work well with other confident individuals on the team and in partner organizations. While our initial search will focus on individuals with a background in grassroots organizing and political strategy, we will also consider applicants from other fields who have the necessary skills and experience. This position will be based in the Bay Area.
* At least 5 years of management experience, with demonstrated ability to lead a team, coordinate with partners, and make concrete impacts
* Excellent written communication, research, and organizational skills
* The ability to work well under pressure and handle several projects at one time
* A commitment to social and racial justice and the empowerment of everyday people to participate more deeply in the political process
* Direct experience doing political or social organizing
* A demonstrated sense of what makes for a good grassroots organizing campaign
* An understanding of Internet-based organizing and Web technologies
* Familiarity with the legislative and electoral process and political media
* Be based in the San Francisco Bay Area or be willing to relocate
Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience and includes full health benefits.
Interested applicants should email email@example.com with a resume, cover letter, and 3-page writing sample, ideally related to organizing or political work if possible.
Cheryl Contee aka "Jill Tubman", Baratunde Thurston aka "Jack Turner", rikyrah, Leutisha Stills aka "The Christian Progressive Liberal", B-Serious, Casey Gane-McCalla, Jonathan Pitts-Wiley aka "Marcus Toussaint," Fredric Mitchell
Special Contributors: James Rucker, Rinku Sen, Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins, Adam Luna, Kamala Harris
Technical Contributor: Brandon Sheats